miércoles, 31 de octubre de 2012

dos formas de ser loco

I think a lot of people search for happiness, but a long time ago I started searching for the truth. When I say the truth, I just mean the truth as it exists in my own life; I'm not suggesting what's true for me is true for you. I just don'
t believe it's possible to find any kind of inner peace if you're lying to yourself in any way, or refusing to accept the truth about relationships or situations in your life. That means knowing yourself, understanding what lights you up, recognizing when you don't show up the way you'd like to and examining what happened for you so you can do it differently the next time. Being accountable for the energy you're spreading, being aware of the things you're feeling and saying and doing. That kind of truth.

Blaming other people for your unhappiness (which I certainly used to do), is a form of lying to yourself. If you're over 25 (and I'd really kind of like to say 20), and you are not happy with the way your life looks and feels, it is on you, now. No matter what may be behind you, what you've gone through, or how many different ways you've been hurt or disappointed, only you are responsible for your own happiness.

Clinging, manipulating and numbing out are all forms of lying to yourself. Love is not something you force. It's something you give, freely, with the understanding that you may be hurt. Sometimes you'll get hurt because we are always growing, and two people don't always grow together. Sometimes you'll be hurt as a result of where a person is on their particular path. People can only be where they are, they can only give what they've got. If you don't accept the truth of the situation, you are in for a world of pain.

We all know when things just don't "feel right". There's no hiding from that reality, but people try to do just that all the time. They hide with busy-ness or distraction or drinking until they're comfortably numb. With shopping or decorating or eating or not eating or video games. With trying to manage another person's journey, or trying to cajole the love out of them. Love is not a sales pitch. You should not have to prove you're worthy of it. If you feel you do, you need to stop everything and figure out how you could not know that you are. Because that is some deep pain. That is the number one thing you'd better get busy healing. And time passes in the fog of a lie. It won't get you anywhere. Wherever you go, you will bring the pain of the lie with you, and you will have to use most of your energy to push it down. You will make yourself sick in your soul.

I would rather know the truth and be in pain than sleepwalk in a lie. There is no beauty in delusion. The truth to me is a comfort, even if it cuts down the center of my heart. Because it's real and I know I'm awake. I don't want to distract myself from life, I want to be soaked in it. I want to swim, you know? I do not expect smooth waters all the time. We are all going to be thrown against the rocks in life. In my experience, that's when the growth happens. When you're cut and bleeding and you think, "How did I not see this coming? Why did I swim this way, and hang out here in the eye of the storm for so long? Why don't I love myself?". You need to find the answers to those questions if this is speaking to you. And you know, sometimes you love yourself but a storm hits, anyway.

This may sound kind of dark, but it isn't at all. Its simply that life is full of joy and pain, of darkness and light, of laughter that comes from your very center, and tears that come from that same place, too. And if you're awake and swimming, you will also be there to appreciate and soak in all the love, all the joy, all the yes of life. The incredible moments when someone looks you in the eye and you know you are being seen. Understood. Celebrated. You'll know that that's real, too. If you want to be happy, you're going to have to swim in the ocean of your truth. That's where the love is. That's where you find your happy. Grab your suit and start paddling. I'm sending you so much love, and a boogie board. Ally




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario